Applegrove members will elect new board members for a 2-year term at our Annual Meeting on March 31, 2022. There are 2 available positions to fill on the Board this year, of which at least 1 must live in our catchment area, bounded by Jones Avenue, Woodbine Avenue, Lake Ontario and the railway tracks north of Gerrard Street.
We are seeking people of different backgrounds, experiences and perspectives who are interested to:
- Contribute to and learn more about their community
- Share their knowledge, skills, energy and ideas
- Help make the Greenwood-Coxwell/Leslieville community the best it can be
We welcome people who represent the diversity in our community, particularly those who:
- Have skills and experiences in the following areas:
- Information/digital technology
- Seniors issues
- Food security
- Are members of communities that experience barriers to equal access, opportunities and resources due to disadvantage and discrimination, for example diverse racial and ethnocultural communities, Indigenous communities, LGBTQ2S+ communities and people with disabilities
- Live or work in our catchment area
- Attend, or have a household member who attends Applegrove programs
Nominees must meet the following minimum requirements:
- be over the age of 18.
- be a resident of the City of Toronto
- be a current, or become a member of Applegrove
Nominees may not be in a restricted category as defined in the City of Toronto’s Public Appointments Policy. (hyperlink to this policy on our policies page) This includes:
- being employed of the City, or any of its Agencies, Boards, Commissions or Corporations
- being the spouse, child or parent of a Member of City Council
- serving on another City Agency, Board, Commission, or Corporation, with the exception of being a member of a Business Improvement Area
At least 5 of the 9 elected community board members must reside in Applegrove’s catchment area. Our catchment area spans from Jones Avenue to the west to Woodbine Avenue to the east, and from Lake Ontario to the railway tracks north of Gerrard Street.
Application and Nomination Form
If you meet the above criteria and are interested in joining the board, please apply by filling out a Nomination Form. Completed forms must be received no later than March 1, 2022 and may be submitted by mail, emailed to [email protected] or dropped off in person to the Applegrove office at 60 Woodfield Road.
Please let us know if you require any support or accommodation at any point through the submission or selection process.
All candidates that meet the eligibility requirements will be interviewed by the Nominations Committee. Interviews can be done via online/virtual video conferencing or telephone. Nominees will be notified of their status by mid-March. The election will take place on March 31, 2022 at our Annual General Meeting.
Note: Nominations can also be made by any eligible Community Member of Applegrove in writing if received by the Board Chairperson one day before the Annual Meeting. These must include the name of the nominee, evidence that they agree to stand for election, and signatures of the person making the nomination and a Community Member who supports the nomination. For information contact Susanne Burkhardt, Executive Director at [email protected] / 647-482-8143.
The responsibilities of the board include the following:
- overall management, operation and maintenance of the Community Centre ensuring compliance with the relevant by-laws, applicable laws and applicable City policies
- overall development, funding and management of all Community Centre programs
- approval of the annual administrative budget for recommendation to City Council
- approval of the annual report for submission to City Council
- approval of all programs including fees for the use of the facilities and programs if applicable
- development of resources to support activities, programs and services of the Community Centre
- hiring and evaluation of the Community Centre’s Executive Director
- approval of the Community Centre’s Annual Financial Statements for audit purposes and receiving the report of the Auditor.